John,

>I am using unixodbc-2.2.11 as packaged by Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with

That sounds very promising, I have been meaning to have a go at this for
a while.

Can you do me a favor and run the unit tests using your current setup?
Run alltests.py and append &text_as_varchar=1 to the dburi (a few mssql
tests rely on this). Save the stdout and stderr and send them to me.
This would really help us gauge how much work on unix support is needed.
For comparison, a run on windows with pyodbc has about 40 test failures.

Paul