Rick Morrison wrote:
> Only rarely is there only one way to do something in MSSQL ;-)
>
> Stored procedures can also be called simply by name, omitting the "EXEC":
>
>     EXEC procedure_foo <parms>
>               or
>     procedure_foo  <parms>

True, as long as the call is the first statement in the batch;
otherwise, you need the exec.

> and I believe they can also be called from within a subquery:
>
>     select * from (procedure_foo)

No, but mssql has the concept of "table-valued user defined function",
so you could have something like

      select * from dbo.foo(@var)

-- think of it as a "parameterized view".

I agree that something like the "returns_results" hint might be a good
way to go.

--
Don Dwiggins
Advanced Publishing Technology