On Feb 15, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Michael Schlenker wrote:

> Michael Bayer schrieb:
>> no idea.  below is a revised version, where the main revision is that
>> theres no SQLAlchemy ;).  So I think you should submit this to the
>> bug
>> tracker on www.sqlite.org.
>>
>> Actually this is sorta interesting since it would impact our own unit
>> tests regarding sqlite as well (which is why we run them with mysql
>> and postgres as part of our build as well).
> This is a known misfeature of sqlite..., its even documented in the
> CREATE
> TABLE manpage for sqlite.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Not sure what you mean by
"manpage" (since man sqlite3 just produces a single brief usage page),
but the docs on the site at http://www.sqlite.org/
lang_createtable.html don't mention anything about "NOT NULL" failing;
only that PRIMARY KEY does not imply NOT NULL, which is not all whats
going on here.  This issue is specifically, "NOT NULL will fail to
issue an exception when used with a CREATE TABLE statement following a
DROP of that same table, which had to have at least one row before it
was dropped".  All of those conditions are needed to reproduce the bug
(but note, the column in question is not a PRIMARY KEY column).   The
bug is also not a failure of the constraint; sqlite3 does not allow
the NULL value to go in and no row is inserted.  Its just that the
error is not propagated the second time around.  So this is definitely
just a bug, and may even be within pysqlite as opposed to sqlite itself.