I just noticed that in the latest version of the branch, there's a
new_instance() call that is using a class' __new__ method in order to
create a new instance, rather than using 'class()'.  What I'd like to
find out is how to get around this, because Trellis objects will not
be properly initialized unless the 'class()' is called, with any
initialization taking place inside __new__ and/or __init__.   Trellis
doesn't override __new__ or __init__, and doesn't care what they
do.  But the creation of an instance *must* be wrapped by the class'
__call__ (i.e. class()), as there is a try/finally involved that must execute.

Any thoughts on how this might be refactored?  What is new_instance() used for?