At 12:02 PM 3/27/2008 -0700, jason kirtland wrote:

>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > I just noticed that in the latest version of the branch, there's a
> > new_instance() call that is using a class' __new__ method in order to
> > create a new instance, rather than using 'class()'.  What I'd like to
> > find out is how to get around this, because Trellis objects will not
> > be properly initialized unless the 'class()' is called, with any
> > initialization taking place inside __new__ and/or __init__.   Trellis
> > doesn't override __new__ or __init__, and doesn't care what they
> > do.  But the creation of an instance *must* be wrapped by the class'
> > __call__ (i.e. class()), as there is a try/finally involved that
> must execute.
> >
> > Any thoughts on how this might be refactored?  What is
> new_instance() used for?
>
>new_instance creates an instance without invoking __init__.  The ORM
>uses it to recreate instances when loading from the database.
>new_instance can be added to InstrumentationManager as an extension
>method... The ORM doesn't care how empty instances are manufactured so
>long as they can be created without initialization arguments, e.g. a
>no-arg constructor.

Does that mean that no attributes must be set from new_instance(), either?

On a separate note, I noticed that the class manager machinery
allowed one to just directly subclass ClassManager instead of making
an InstrumentationManager.  Was that intentional?  I preserved this
behavior when I corrected the staticmethod failure problem, but the
tests don't appear to test for that.