On Apr 27, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Rick Morrison wrote:

> > What I'm not sure of at this point is if theres some cursor usage
> > specific to the MS-SQL dialect that might be external to the
> > ResultProxy....if Rick could comb through that for me that would be
> > helpful.
>
> The cursor is used pre_exec() if an INSERT statement tries to set a
> literal PK on a sequence-like column (called IDENTITY in MSSQL).
> MSSQL needs to have a special mode turned on to do those.
>
> It's used in do_exec() to turn that "literal insert" mode back off.
>
> Finally it's also used post_exec() after INSERT statements on tables
> with IDENTITY columns to fetch the newly-inserted PK value.
>

> that's about it for cursor usage -- nothing on SELECT, only inserts.

Yeah, I see that its used.  But no new cursor is opened, so this
doesnt seem like it could be involved.

It is possible we could re-introduce "check for open cursors" as a
pool events extension.  It would raise an error if any connection is
returned with associated cursors still opened and could track down
issues like these.