> So now I'm of two minds about which module to use and if I should use
> a schema or not for these porposes.

There's a few arcane limitations when using the pymssql module, pyodbc will
be better-supported going into the future.
As for using schema vs. other namespace tricks, that's up to you. I would
stick with schemas - SA includes good schema support.

> had a broken exception message

Does anyone know what the story is with pyodbc and mangled tracebacks? That
sounds kind of disturbing, like a corrupted stack or otherwise scrambled
frame data inside of the Python interpreter.