keith cascio wrote:
> Hi. I use declarative orm with session.  With my current
> configuration, SQLAlchemy refreshes more often than I'd like.  In
> other words, when I look at the echo log, I see more SELECT statements
> than I'd like.  It issues a SELECT when I read an attribute, but I
> don't want it to do that.  What is the best way to suppress these
> automatic refreshes?

nothing ever "refreshes" automatically.  only things that have been
"expired", or were never loaded in the first place, are loaded when
requested.

to reduce expirations, read
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/session.html#committing .   Also, if
applicable, consider using fewer database-level defaults to populate
columns on flush - these values are necessarily read in when you request
to see them.

To increase what's loaded in a single query is a more elaborate topic
which involves the specifics of the mappings you are using.  Usually
"eager loading" is the first place to start.  If you're using joined table
inheritance, read the mapper docs on configuring "with polymorphic".

If your loads are specific to many-to-one relationships, use 0.6beta2.
Fewer loads take place in the latest version.