Hello Michael,

I changed delete as you suggested.

    def delete(self, synchronize_session='evaluate'):
        columns = self.column_descriptions
        #  don't know to delete on multiple tables in
        # the same statement
        assert len(columns) == 1
        entity = columns[0]
        if 'type' in entity and \
           hasattr(entity['type'], 'deleted_at'):
            self.update({'deleted_at': int(time.time())},
                        synchronize_session=synchronize_session)
            return
        super(DeletedAtQuery, self).\
                    delete(synchronize_session=synchronize_session)

I hope this covers all the cases.

Thank you very much,
Andrei Chirila

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Andrei Chirila wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I looked closely at Query implementation and I ended up with this:
>

>     def delete(self, synchronize_session='evaluate'):
>         context = self._compile_context()
>         assert len(context.statement.froms) == 1
>         if 'deleted_at' in context.statement.froms[0].columns:
>             self.update({'deleted_at': int(time.time())},
>                         synchronize_session=synchronize_session)
>             return
>         super(DeletedAtQuery, self).\
>                     delete(synchronize_session=synchronize_session)
>
> I'm using _compile_context private method, and I would like to know if it's
> anything I could improve in order to get to a complete implementation of
> safe delete.
>

> OK so if it were me, I'd look instead at the entities which the Query is
> against and look for a deleted_at attribute.    The most public API way to
> get at the entities being queried is via the query.column_descriptions
> accessor:
> http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/orm/query.html#sqlalchemy.orm.query.Query.column_descriptions.
>    From that you'd pretty much have a list of length 1 since you're doing
> query(entity).delete(), you'd take a  look at hasattr(entities[0]['type'],
> 'deleted_at').     Would be cleaner than the compile_context approach.
>

> Thank you,
> Andrei Chirila
>

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Michael Bayer
> <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>wrote:
>

>> On Sep 20, 2011, at 10:12 AM, Andrei Chirila wrote:
>>
>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> Thank you :)
>>
>> I changed the code according to your indications:
>>
>> def paranoid_delete(session, flush_context, instances):
>>     """ Intercepts item deletions (single item deletions)
>>         and, if there is a field deleted_at for that
>>         object, it's updating deleted at instead of really
>>         deleting the object """
>>     # print "current session", session
>>     # print "context", flush_context
>>     # print "dirty", session.dirty
>>     # print "deleted", session._deleted
>>     for obj in session.deleted:
>>         # print ">> deleted object:", instance, " -> ", obj
>>         if hasattr(obj, 'deleted_at'):
>>             print "moving object back: ", obj
>>             obj.deleted_at = int(time.time())
>>             session.add(obj)
>>
>> and it seems to do what it was intended.
>>
>> Do you know where could I add a hook for before_bulk_delete?
>>

>> Well since you're subclassing Query I'd add an overriding delete() method
>> to your LimitingQuery, do your hook in there, then call the delete() method
>> of Query itself.
>>

>> Thank you,
>> Andrei Chirila
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Michael Bayer
>> <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>wrote:

>>> I'd stay away from identity_map.add(object), as that skips a lot of
>>> bookkeeping that occurs within the Session.   and definitely *never* modify
>>> anything with an _underscore on Session, your code becomes totally non
> [...]

Mobile: +49 151 42647382
e-Mail: andre...@gmail.com