On 27/09/2011 18:10, Michael Bayer wrote:

That looks like it should ship with SA itself...

Does it?

on the website, sure :)

Many of these things are better as recipes

Meh, that used to be true of mixins.
I'm very glad that's now in the core.

The trouble with keeping this as a recipe is that if you want to use it anywhere seriously, *every* project you want to use it on you have to:

- find somewhere to put it
- write unit tests for for
- try and remember why it's slightly different in one project than another
- generally end up cursing and swearing...

- it is easier for us to support just the "__mapper_cls__" argument rather than
a full usage pattern.

Why? How would the "full usage pattern" differ?
(you *know* I'll end up finding some way of hitting it anyway ;-) )

In particular, the recipe would need modifications if it were being integrated
with other __mapper_cls__ types of recipes,

Is there a list of these anywhere? (other than ones about to be superceded)

A recipe is also a great way to keep the library as "just one way to do it" -
the variety of overlapping use cases regarding mapping and reflection can remain as
applications on top of a more succinct set of building blocks.   Makes the library easier
to understand when its boundaries are clear.

Sure, but that's not reason not to have a select of these recipes with unit tests in, say, sa.ext.declarative.ext ...ok, I'm being facetious with the package name, but you know what I mean.

cheers,

Chris

PS: On the flip side, it's awesome that the recipe is there and works!

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk