On Feb 22, 2012, at 3:28 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:

> Like I said, it's not a leak situation as much of a fragmentation
> situation, where long-lived objects in high memory positions can
> prevent the process' heap from shrinking.
>
> [0] http://revista.python.org.ar/2/en/html/memory-fragmentation.html

Saw that a bit, but looking at the "tips" at the bottom, concrete
implementation changes are not coming to mind.   An "eternal structure" is
ubiquitous in any programming language.  sys.modules is a big list of all the
Python modules that have been imported, each one full of functions, classes,
other data, these are all "eternal structures" - sys.modules is normally never
cleaned out.    I'm not seeing at what point you move beyond things that are in
these modules into things that are so-called "eternal structures" that lead to
inappropriate memory fragmentation.