On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:
> IMHO the whole point of using a high level, interpreted language like Python
> is that we don't have to be bogged down thinking like C programmers.   How
> come I've never had a memory fragmentation issue before ?      I've made
> "precompilation" an option for folks who really wanted it but I've never had
> a need for such a thing.   And you can be sure I work on some very large and
> sprawling SQLAlchemy models these days.

Maybe you never used big objects.

Memory fragmentation arises only when the application handles a
mixture of big and small objects, such that holes created by small
objects being freed don't serve big memory requirements.

If your application handles a homogenous workload (ie: every request
is pretty much the same), as is usual, then you won't probably
experience fragmentation.

My application does the usual small-object work, interspersed with
intense computation on big objects, hence my troubles.

Python's garbage collector has been a pending issue for a long time,
but, as I noticed in the linked page, past architectural decisions
prevent some widely desired improvements.