Right.. So what should I do about oracle CONNECT BY, which is what they have
instead of WITH RECURSIVE... Consider that to be a different construct and
ignore it for now?   Or should there be some approach that approximates between
WITH RECURSIVE and CONNECT BY transparently?  The latter approach has eluded me
since structurally they are so different.   I guess a literal CTE
implementation to start with doesn't prevent a later agnostic construct from
being created.