OK well it's MySQL, so sure if you want to make a table per customer, its not a
terrible drain on MySQL....the "create tables on the fly" thing makes DBAs very
upset but then again, MySQL DBs are usually not DBA controlled...

still, it seems like these tables aren't referred to by any other tables,
otherwise table-per-customer would be quite unwieldy.   I have a vague
recollection that Solr can be used for this sort of thing too....and google
says yes !   in fact it's explicitly a group (well, it's rackspace!) that chose
a solr/hadoop solution over "partitioned MySQL":

http://highscalability.com/how-rackspace-now-uses-mapreduce-and-hadoop-query-terabytes-data

Solr is a very good product and worth looking into here.