On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Michael Bayer wrote:
>

> On Aug 27, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Jacob Biesinger wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Re-asking a question from stackoverflow here.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12148503/arbitrary-collections-in-sqlalchemy-with-referential-integrity
>
> I'm converting a library to use SA as the datastore. I like the
> flexibility of the PickleType column, but it doesn't seem to work well when
> pickling SA objects (table rows).  Even if I overload setstate and getstate
> to do a query + session merge when unpickling, there's no referential
> integrity across that pickle boundary.  That means that I can't query
> collections of objects.
>
> class Bar(Base):
>     id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
>     __tablename__ = 'bars'
>     foo_id = Column(Integer, ForeignKey('foos.id'), primary_key=True)
>
> class Foo(Base):
>     __tablename__ = 'foos'
>     values = Column(PickleType)
>     #values = relationship(Bar)  # list interface (one->many), but can't
> assign a scalar or use a dictionary
>     def __init__(self):
>         self.values = [Bar(), Bar()]
>
>         # only allowed with PickleType column
>         #self.values = Bar()
>         #self.values = {'one' : Bar()}
>         #self.values = [ [Bar(), Bar()], [Bar(), Bar()]]
>
> # get all Foo's with a Bar whose id=1
> session.query(Foo).filter(Foo.values.any(Bar.id == 1)).all()
>
> One workaround would be to implement my own mutable object type as is done
> here:
> https://github.com/ccat/sqlalchemy_examples/blob/master/mutable_example/mutable_alwayUpdate.py#L51
>  and
> to have some kind of flattening scheme which traverses the collections and
> appends them to a simpler one->many relationship.  Perhaps the flattened
> list might have to be weakrefs to the pickled collection's objects?
>  Tracking changes and references sounds like no fun.  Any advice?
>

> The PickleType is really a hacky way around edge cases where you have some
> arbitrary object you'd just like to shove away.     It's a given that when
> you use PickleType, you're giving up any relational advantages, including
> being able to filter/query on them, etc.
>
> So putting an ORM mapped object in a Pickle is basically a terrible idea.
>
> Point taken.

> If you want a collection of scalar values, use traditional mappings and
> relationship() in combination with association_proxy.  See
> http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_7/orm/extensions/associationproxy.html#simplifying-scalar-collections.
>

> re: "or dictionaries".  Use attribute_mapped_collection:
> http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_7/orm/collections.html#dictionary-collections
>
> "dictionaries plus scalars": combine both attribute_mapped_collection and
> association_proxy:
> http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_7/orm/extensions/associationproxy.html#proxying-to-dictionary-based-collections

> [...]
suppose the creator here could be a polymorphic vertical column as in
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/browser/examples/vertical/dictlike-polymorphic.py,
which could act as a scalar, as a list, or as a dictionary depending on an
introspected type.  Querying such a collection seems like it would be a
pain though.