On Oct 13, 2012, at 12:20 AM, Yap Sok Ann wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:19:34 PM UTC+8, Michael Bayer wrote:
>
> yeah, the whole FreeTDS story is awful, I don't understand any of it either.
>    I'm still at "wave a dead chicken" stage with  FreeTDS
> (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wave+a+dead+chicken).
>
> The ODBC Driver 1.0 for Linux from Microsoft
> (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28160) works very
> well for me. It allows me to use the same driver (SQL Server Native Client
> 11.0) on both Linux-based development machine and Windows-based production
> server.
>
> With this added to odbcinst.ini:
>
> [SQL Server Native Client 11.0]
> Description=Microsoft SQL Server ODBC Driver V1.0 for Linux
> Driver=/opt/microsoft/sqlncli/lib64/libsqlncli-11.0.so.1790.0
> Threading=1
> UsageCount=1
>
> I can then use a simple SQLAlchemy URL:

OK this is really fascinating, as my sysadmin scared me away from MS's product,
but if you're saying its working, then that is really amazing.  Of course the
proof would be that I can run unicode through it in any way I see fit and it
wouldn't choke.  Will try to look into this, as never using FreeTDS again would
be a good thing.