On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:19:34 PM UTC+8, Michael Bayer wrote:

> yeah, the whole FreeTDS story is awful, I don't understand any of it
> either.     I'm still at "wave a dead chicken" stage with  FreeTDS (
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wave+a+dead+chicken).

The ODBC Driver 1.0 for Linux from Microsoft
(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28160) works very
well for me. It allows me to use the same driver (SQL Server Native Client
11.0) on both Linux-based development machine and Windows-based production
server.

With this added to odbcinst.ini:

[SQL Server Native Client 11.0]
Description=Microsoft SQL Server ODBC Driver V1.0 for Linux
Driver=/opt/microsoft/sqlncli/lib64/libsqlncli-11.0.so.1790.0
Threading=1
UsageCount=1

I can then use a simple SQLAlchemy URL: