Hello,

I am very happy with using sqlalchemy 0.8 so far.
But now I stumpled upon a problem I could not solve:

I have strings like 'POINT(-141.1643 32.42112)' and want to extract the
numbers between the brackets.
Note1: I can not use python to manipulate the string, since the string gets
created from a Postgresql-function-call within the select-statement, and
the substring has to be available in the same select.
Note2: the length of the numbers is not constant, therefore a simple
substring()-call is not possible, since I dont know the end-value.

Now, since "POINT(" is always the same I could use
trim(leading "POINT(" from x), as well as
trim(trailing ")" from x)

to get rid of everything outside the brackets.

But how can I use the trim-function in sql-Alchemy?

I tried sqlalchemy.func.trim('leading', '"POINT("' ,x)
-> error: function pg_catalog.btrim(unknown, unknown, text) does not exist

and sqlalchemy.func.trim('leading "POINT(" from ' + x)
-> returns just the whole string 'leading "POINT(" from POINT(32.233 4.42)'

Does anyone know how to use trim in sqlalchemy correctly?

Any help would be appreciated! (Also if you have a different approach
towards extracting the substring from the string)

Thank you all!