OK, I've committed this and yes that was a whole new error I wasn't familiar
with, which appears to be why RTD wasn't building at all.  Now it's back to
building as you can see via the link here:
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/.

The PDF though doesn't have the table of contents at the moment, which is due
to the "needs to be built twice" issue.  this is still broken because our PDF
build spits out warnings and errors that prevents RTD from running the build
multiple times like it's supposed to.   Usually on the next build, the TOC
magically appears, though its been awhile and maybe things aren't working even
that well now.  As you can see in their log, they still see the PDF build as
"failing": https://readthedocs.org/builds/sqlalchemy/446592/  even though it
put a file there.   Not sure how "failure" and "we copied the .pdf file
successfully" go together, this is what I'd like RTD to improve upon a bit more.

Anyway thanks for the patch things are in better shape than they were before !