On Sep 19, 2013, at 3:07 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2013, at 2:46 PM, Nathan Mailg <nathanma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> c = aliased(City)
>> q2 = s.query(q1).\
>>       join(Appl.city).\
>>       join(c, Appl.city).\
>>       order_by(q1.c.lastname, q1.c.firstname)
>
> why don't you join on the Column objects present rather than relying on the
> relationship?

Sorry, I don't know. I'm sure I'm missing something basic that's obvious to
you. :)

Do you mean something like this?

q2 = s.query(q1).\
       join(City, City.id==q1.c.cityid).\
       order_by(q1.c.lastname, q1.c.firstname)

That's all I've been able to get to work. I think I've been spoiled by
relationship() using declarative. :)

What I'm trying to get at are the attrs on City, like:

# row is KeyedTuple instance
for row in q2.all():
    # this works
    print row.lastname
    # below does not work,
    # stuck here trying to get at joined City attrs, e.g. City has a "name" attr
    print row.city.name

Sorry for my confusion.