Something that I realized would be very useful, is to enable comments on
query compilation.  That would make it SO much easier to understand logs.

Yes this sounds slightly silly.

Yes I am 100% serious.

I've been working all day on optimizing a web page.  It originally had 200
queries, I'm down to 60, I think we can get to 15.

Combing through 200 queries and associating the SQL to code is a pain.

Consider this statement / syntax :

    results =  dbSession.query( Foo ).filter_by( Foo.id.in_( 1,2,3)
).comment("initial foo select").all()

generating this sql ( which would propagate into all the various logs )

    SELECT * FROM foo WHERE foo.id IN (1,2,3); -- initial foo select

I think this would be ridiculously useful for troubleshooting.  It could
even (potentially) be controlled by a setting in the engine or connect
string.  Show comments on DEV, not PRODUCTION; turn on Production comments
only during a test timeframe, etc.

Most Sql dialects support comments in queries.

The following works in postgres, mysql, sqlite:

c-style

    SELECT foo FROM bar /* comment here , can span multiple lines */;

until EOL  - postgres and mysql

    SELECT foo FROM bar ; -- comment

After combing through many different docs, I also found this little
(outdated) chart
-- http://3rdstage.blogspot.com/2009/04/sql-comments-syntax-for-oracle-db2.html