I've had problems with this in the past.  I thought it was SqlAlchemy, and
it ended up being issues with my data in Pyramid (the Pylons successor).  A
few items had the wrong character encoding -- I was expecting it to be
UTF8/ASCII, but it was using a different charset.

It could be the issue that Jeff mentioned, but I'd suggest writing some
exception handlers to log where this is happening in Pylons and try to dump
all the relevant data.

I have a custom exception logger in Pyramid that logs these types of errors
into the database -- along with the url & misc args; sometimes I'll drop
some hints into the request object too -- like stashing a URL that is being
processed or the integer ID of an object being worked on.  then i can
usually figure out where the problems are.

I just want to bring this up, because the Pylons/Pyramid error reporting --
and the SqlAlchemy reporting -- can often make an error look to be in a
different spot than it really is

Sidenote: How are you liking the pg RDS support?