Hey guys,

we've moved recently to SQLAlchemy 0.9.2 from 0.7.9.

This move coincided with the introduction of UnicodeEncoreErrors in our
system. They appear to be happening at random and have no real way for us
to debug as we can't really reproduce them, except that they happen in our
system and the tracebacks lead directly to the insides of sqlalchemy.

https://gist.github.com/dialtone/9081835

This is the traceback we get, with the nice and clear:
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xdc' in
position 1: ordinal not in range(128)

Our PG 9.3 is setup with encoding at utf8, we also have the client_encoding
set at utf8 but it still seems that the library randomly picks what to do
in that spot.

The stacktrace points to this error:
https://github.com/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/blob/rel_0_9_2/lib/sqlalchemy/orm/strategies.py#L154

Almost no matter what our calls are, when we fetch an object with a Unicode
field that is actually using multi-bytes it ends up failing point to that
line with the UnicodeEncodeError.

If I were to trust my guts I'd say it might be related to py3k support but
I'd probably be wrong.

Can anyone help us figure out what this issue might be?

Thanks!