On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:21:40 PM UTC+4, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:32:41 AM UTC-4, Damian Dimmich wrote:
>
> I intend to develop further syntax/query support for this type on an as
>> needed basis for now - suggestions and comments are much appreciated.
>>

> 1. Nice work!  Now I'm more likely to use jsonb!

:)

> 2. I ran into some sqlalchemy issues with postgresql and gin indexes
> recently.  the default `.match()` didn't accept the regconfig argument,
> which can be a necessary argument to properly hint the query-planner to use
> the index.  the result was the index is ignored and the column was being
> cast into ts_vector in real-time.  on a few thousand rows, there was a 100x
> difference in query time.    ( discussion here :
> https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/issue/3078/postgresql-full-text-search-on-match
>
> ; there's a PR in the queue too )
>
> so my suggestion would be to make sure you run the results of the
> generated SQL through `EXPLAIN ANALYZE` on a decently large test dataset to
> make sure the gin indexes are being used properly.  You could end up the
> situation were the sql is totally valid and "looks right", but it's
> structured in a way that the indexes are ignored.

You are  way ahead of me in this case it seems :).  I'll make sure to do
that however - good suggestion.  It looks like the final version of 9.4
will have more operator support than i'd originally expected (or it may be
pushed into 9.5) according to my understanding of some of the commits in
the postgres tree.  It would be cool to have something working at around
the 9.4 release date.