> I am trying to do a join between two tables,
> each residing on a separate databases.

Would you like to consider another software
design option?

* Do you know if any special connectors or data
  source adaptors are available for your database
  software implementations?

* Can one of them be configured as a data source
  for the other database so that you would only
  need to deal with a single connection for
  the desired query?

Regards,
Markus