On Thursday 22 July 2004 8:56 pm, Darren Duncan wrote:
> At 11:22 PM -0400 7/22/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Scott Leighton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >  >  OK, but what happens to existing sqlite databases we're already
> >>
> >>  using with Perl?  From what I can see, if I update to the new
> >>  DBD:SQLite, I'll end up with v 3.x even though all my existing
> >>  db's are v 2.8. Will it auto-detect and upgrade them?
> >
> >And what of read-only databases (e.g. those databases which have been
> > written to CD or DVD) and can't be upgraded?  Can they still be queried?
>
> The simplest answer for both of these is to use DBD::SQLite 0.31 for
> version 2 databases, and DBD::SQLite 1.0 for version 3 databases.

  I don't see that as a viable option.

> If
> you mean, use them both simultaneously, then that's more complicated,
> and I won't go into it now. -- Darren Duncan

  I think it will be a problem if they can't coexist somehow. Otherwise,
the poor user would have to locate and convert any SQLite databases
on their machine (and in their archives) before one could successfully
upgrade to the new DBD::SQLite without breaking things.

  Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/