A stupid question:

Why introduce more code, one more thing to test,
and possibly bugs? Is there a problem that needs fixing?

It certainly will not cause me any problems.

--- "D. Richard Hipp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As currently implemented, there is no fixed limit to the number
> of columns you can put in a table in SQLite.  If the CREATE TABLE
> statement will fit in memory, then SQLite will accept it.  Call
> the number of columns in a table K.  I am proposing to limit the
> value of K to something like 2000.
>
> Would this cause anyone any grief?
>
> Note that SQLite is optimized for a K that is small - a few dozen
> at most.  There are algorithms in the parser that run in time
> O(K*K).  These could be changed to O(K) but with K small the
> constant of proportionality is such that it isn't worthwhile.
> So, even though SQLite will work on a table with a million or
> more columns, it is not a practical thing to do, in general.
>
> The largest value of K I have seen in the wild is in the
> low 100s.  I thought that I was testing with K values in
> the thousands, but I just checked and I think the test
> scripts only go as high as K=1000 in one place.
>
> The reason it would be good to limit K to about 2000 is
> that if I do so there are some places where I can increase
> the run-time performance some.  It would also reduce
> code complexity in a few spots.
>
> So who out there needs a value of K larger than 2000?
> What is the largest K that anybody is using?  Who would
> object if I inserted a limit on K that was in the range
> of 1000 or 2000?
> --
> D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Lord Tarlington gazed upon the crazed Egyptian hieroglyphics on the walls of
the ancient tomb of the petrified pharaoh, he vowed there would be no curse on
him like on that other Lord, unless you count his marriage to Lady Tarlington
who, when the lost treasure was found, will be dumped faster than that basket
in the bulrushes."
  Melissa Rhodes