For what it's worth the file stores the version number of library that most
recently opened the file as part of the 100 byte header (the last four bytes
specifically).  It's just not in the first 16 byte magic portion. Changing this
would immediately cause all previous versions to report database files as "not
a database" as far as I know.  Furthermore the file format itself is compatible
with future versions, but certain features are not if I am not mistaken.

You can compare bytes 96-100 with the SQLITE_VERSION_NUMBER of the tool you are
using to achieve the effect you want.

Jim Borden
(Sent from a mobile device)