On 12/29/2016 9:20 PM, Richard Hipp wrote:

On 12/30/16, Bennett Haselton <bennetthasel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Presumably it's not possible for a tool to output a detailed message
like "Your file was generated by SQLite library version 3.6.2, but this
tool only supports versions up to 3.5.1",
OK.  I have your request to enhance the error message that is issued
when the library encounters a later version of the database.  If that
change makes it into the core, it will take effect with version 3.17.0
or later.  (3.16.0 has already entered testing.)
Thanks. My other suggestion was that if you open a database file with a *newer* version of the library than the one that was used to create it, you can also warn, "This file was created using SQLite version a.b.c, but you're attempting to save it in format SQLite version x.y.z. If you save changes to this file, it may no longer be compatible with the program that generated it."

Unfortunately, all
versions of SQLite from 3.0.0 through 3.16.0 just return
SQLITE_NOTADB.  And so the problem will persist for the billion copies
of SQLite that are already in circulation.  But we can't really change
that.
True. Although that's presumably true of all software bugs, but we still fix them anyway ;)

Bennet