On Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 03:16, Cecil Westerhof <cldwester...@gmail.com>
said:

> > Jens Alfke wrote:
> > Threading is the most extreme method of achieving parallelism, and
> > therefore should be used only as the last resort.  (I'd compare it to
> > assembly code in this regard.)

> ​At the moment I am not using it much and I am certainly not an expert, but
> as I understood it one of the reasons to use threading is that it costs a
> lot less resources.

Which was very important a few years ago when Dynamic RAM cost more than a
$1000 per megabyte, were having memory that could be measured in units bigger
than Kilobytes meant you had a whopping expensive huge computer that probably
cost more than your car, house, and yacht all added together.  Yet it was
computationally as advanced as my wristwatch.

There is nothing wrong with multithreading.  Using "processes" is just
multithreading -- with training wheels, belt, suspenders, diapers, and knee
pads -- to prevent the foolish from, well, being foolish.  If you design your
"multithreaded" program as if each thread were a separate process but without
all the safety gear to prevent you from hurting yourself (and defeating Natural
Selection in the process), you will have much less issue.

Note that for several modern OSes, the OS is nothing more than a discontiguous
saved segment (DCSS) which is mapped into *every* process space and that
process isolation is more of a myth than a reality.