The main downside is that SQLite builds on a ton of platforms, including
embedded devices.  In some cases, those platforms don’t even support floating
point numbers, never mind high-level math functions.  It would add a mess of
new #defs.

There used to be a standard math extension that brought in a large number of
statistical math functions in a consistent way.  I’m not sure what ever
happened to it, but that seems like a much better approach.

 -j

On Mar 9, 2017, at 7:49 AM, Eric Grange <egra...@glscene.org> wrote:

> A bonus of having them defined in the core is that it avoids the minor
> inconsistencies that are bound to arise in custom implementations (starting
> with the name of math functions)
>
> Main downside is probably not going to be the size, but that it reserves
> more names, and may conflict with existing custom implementations.
>
> Eric
>
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 1:16 PM, R Smith <rsm...@rsweb.co.za> wrote:
>
>> I second this - Been having a hard time making basic queries with a simple
>> x^y function in SQL for SQLite since there is no guarantee what the
>> end-user's system will have it compiled-in. I can version-check or
>> version-enforce easily, but compile-option check or enforce is a no-go.
>>
>> If we can shift the basic "Auto-included" feature set a few notches up, we
>> can still have hardcore minimalist users compile their own (as they
>> probably already do), but it would be nice to know a query running on a
>> standard linux or Apple OS on the included SQLite will support some wider
>> functions as a rule[1] without having to keep track. I realize this will
>> take a time to permeate through the world, but it would be great to start
>> asap.
>>
>> [1] Yes, there are threads on this same forum where I myself kicked
>> against bloating SQLite with unneeded functionality as a rule, but perhaps
>> the definition of "needed" needs revisiting. I think good math and string
>> functions certainly qualify.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ryan
>>

>> On 2017/03/09 11:45 AM, Dominique Devienne wrote:
>>
>>> I find that I'm often missing basic mathematical functions in the default
>>> shell.
>>> Many SQLite clients add many, but given that the official SQLite shell
>>> misses
>>> them you can't use them in views for predefined "reports" within the DB
>>> file itself, for example.
>>>
>>> There's [1] which is 50KB, but only a tiny part of that is for math
>>> functions, so math functions are only a few KBs away.
>>>
>>> Adding basic math functions and stddev, median, variance, etc... wouldn't
>>> add much,
>>> and they could be added to the shell at least, if deemed too big for the
>>> amalgamation,
>>> but given that many things can be turned on/off in the amalgamation, that
>>> would be just
>>> one more IMHO.
>>>
>>> The goal here would be to move the "minimum expectations" of what can be
>>> done with the official shell, out-of-the-box, w/o the need to resort to
>>> .load of an extension which is not readily available in compiled form for
>>> many non-programmer users.
>>>
>>> And IMHO, the ability to use math functions in views is why "moving the
>>> baseline" is necessary,
>>> since without those being built-in, the views will just error out in the
>>> official shell.
>>>
>>> My $0.02, despite the upcoming chorus about lite or do-it-in-your-app
> [...]

Jay A. Kreibich < J A Y @ K R E I B I.C H >

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it, but showing
it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them feel uncomfortable." --
Angela Johnson