On 5/10/17, Ward WIllats <sqlite-us...@wardco.com> wrote:

> The unusual parts of our setup are:
>
> 1. The DB in questions is on a volatile filesystem and ATTACHED to another,
> smaller one residing on a flash (JFFS) filesystem, and
> 2. We use the shady SQLITE_SHM_DIRECTORY compile switch to move the .shm
> file off JFFS and into RAM so we can WAL, and
> 3. We're linking against an older version of the MUSL c library which has
> had bugs in the past on our platform and may have more. (We are moving to a
> new platform soon so will get to upgrade and isolate this variable.)
>
> #2 is the one I always worry about, but generally it seems to work well.

I think I'd be more worried about the use of JFFS than I would #2.
JFFS did not have a very good reputation the last time I checked,
though it has been a while so perhaps that has changed.  Any reason
not to use EXT4?

Since the reader and writer threads are serialized, can you get by
using the same database connection for them both?  Do you need them to
be isolated from one another?

If you are able to use the same database connection, then you can set
"PRAGMA locking_mode=EXCLUSIVE" and SQLite will use heap-memory for
the SHM the SQLITE_SHM_DIRECTORY compile-time option will become
irrelevant.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org