I didn't know about this functionality.  I know it is a 'sharp tool', but
what I've gathered out by reading the document is that this only affects
indexes, and if I understand the doc, only when the imposter table is
created or is used to modify the indexes.  What if an imposter table is
created at database inception, and is not changed or modified, and only
used for R/O queries?  Does it become a blunt instrument or is it still a
sharp utility knife?

Personally, I doubt I'd ever use this.  I've never required knowledge of
what the index is beyond faith in knowing that the engine knows what its
doing, or, needs to get updated periodically.  (I know of different methods
of indexing in different engines, but, never needed to know which is used
or implemented)