>Easily solved by never including a superflous BOM in UTF-8 text

And that easy option has worked beautifully for 20 years... not.

Yes, BOM is a misnommer, yes it "wastes" 3 bytes, but in the real world
"text files" have a variety of encodings.
No BOM = you have to fire a whole suite of heuristics or present the user
with choices he/she will not understand.

After 20 years, the choice is between doing the best in an imperfect world,
or perpetuating the issue and blaming others.