On Tue, 2017-06-27 at 01:14 -0600, Scott Robison wrote:
> The original issue was two of the largest companies in the world
> output the
> Byte Encoding Mark(TM)(Patent Pending) (or BOM) at the beginning of
> UTF-8
> encoded text streams, and it would be friendly for the SQLite3 shell
> skip it or use it for encoding identification in at least some cases.

I would suggest adding a command-line argument to the shell indicating
whether to ignore a BOM or not, possibly requiring specification of a
certain encoding or list of encodings to consider.

Certainly this should not be a requirement for the library per se, but
a responsibility of the client to provide data in the proper encoding.