> ASCII / ANSI is a 7-bit format.

ASCII is a 7 bit encoding, but uses 8 bits in just about any implementation
out there. I do not think there is any 7 bit implementation still alive
outside of legacy mode for low-level wire protocols (RS232 etc.). I
personally have never encountered a 7 bit ASCII file (as in bitpacked), I
am curious if any exists?

ANSI has no precise definition, it's used to lump together all the <= 8 bit
legacy encodings (cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_character_set)