On Tue, 2017-06-27 at 16:38 +0200, Eric Grange wrote:

> > ASCII / ANSI is a 7-bit format.
> ASCII is a 7 bit encoding, but uses 8 bits in just about any
> implementation
> out there. I do not think there is any 7 bit implementation still
> alive
> outside of legacy mode for low-level wire protocols (RS232 etc.). I
> personally have never encountered a 7 bit ASCII file (as in
> bitpacked), I
> am curious if any exists?

If an implementation "uses" 8 bits for ASCII text (as opposed to
hardware storage which is never less than 8 bits for a single C char,
AFAIK), then it is not a valid ASCII implementation, i.e. does not
interpret ASCII according to its definition. The whole point of
specifying a format as 7 bits is that the 8th bit is ignored, or
perhaps used in an implementation-defined manner, regardless of whether
the 8th bit in a char is available or not.

Once an encoding embraces 8 bits, it will be something like CP1252,
ISO-8859-x, KOI-R, etc. Just not ASCII.