I always saw byte as something that was relevant for systems that could address
objects smaller than words... “byte addressed” machines. The term was mnemonic
for something bigger than a bit and smaller than a word. It was usually 8 bits
=but there were 36-bit machines that were byte addressable 9 bits at a time.
The DECsystem 10 guys also referred to the other subdivisions of their 36 bit
words as bytes, sometimes, they could be 6, 7, 8, or 9 bits long. I think they
had special instructions for operating on them, but they weren’t directly
addressable.

There was also a “nibble”, smaller than a “byte”, which was always 4 bits (one
hex digit). I don’t think any of the octal people used the word for their three
bit digits.