On Jun 29, 2017, at 11:18 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2017, at 5:39pm, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
>
>> Before roughly the mid 1970s, the size of a byte was whatever the computer
>> or communications system designer said it was.
>
> You mean that size of a word.

That, too.  Again I give the example of a 12-bit PDP-8 storing 6-bit packed
ASCII text.  The word size is 12, and the byte size is 6.

The same machine could instead store 7-bit ASCII from the ASR-33 in its 12-bit
words, and we could then speak of 7-bit bytes and 12-bit words.  This, too, was
a thing in the PDP-8 world, though rarer, since the core memory field size was
4k words, and the base machine config only had the one field, so 5 wasted bits
per character was a painful hit.

> The word "byte" means "by eight”.

I failed to find that in an English corpus search.[1]  A search for “by eight”
turns up hundreds of results (apparently limited to 600 by the search engine)
but none of the matches is near “byte.”  A search for “by-eight” turns up only
one result, also irrelevant.

I suspect the earliest print reference to that definition would be much later
than the actual coinage of the word in 1956 by Werner Buchholz, making it a
back-formation.  I’d expect to find that definition in print only after the
microcomputer revolution that nailed the 8-bit byte into place.

Further counter-citations:

   https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13615764/
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte#History
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Byte#Byte_.3D_By-Eight.3F
   https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/121127/etymology-of-byte

I wish I could find a copy of

   Buchholz, W., January 1981:
       "Origin of the Word 'Byte.'"
       IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, 3, 1: p. 72

that is not behind a paywall, as Buchholz is the man who coined the word for
the IBM 7030 “Stretch,” which had a variable byte size.  It used 8-bit bytes
for I/O, but it had variable-width bytes internally.

We wouldn’t have needed the term “octet” if “byte” always meant “8 bits”.

[1]: http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/

> With each bit of storage costing around 100,000 times what they do now

A bit of trivia I dropped during editing from the prior post: a 5 MB RK05 disk
drive cost about the same as a luxury car.  (About US $40,000 today after CPI
adjustment.)

Cadillac with all the options or RK05?  Let me think…RK05!