On the other side of the coin of that, I find it rather nice that I have
one place to see when "bugs" are found, and discussed.  Then my having to
go to yet another page to track a discussion becomes a bit of a pain.

You could argue that I could just setup the tracker to notify me of when
changes are made, or new tracker items are added, however, I argue that I
don't need to have yet another 'thing' email me when a change is made.  As
a new user, its just another 'thing' I'd have to provide my information to
if I want to submit a new report.  The tracker could be setup to allow for
anonymous reports, but, then you're asking for trouble from bots.

Then there's the whole multiple trackers thing, one for internal and one
external.  Its extra work to have the development team take information
from the public forum to the private forum and then maintain that.  Its
another thing for them monitor and maintain.