On 17 Aug 2017, at 1:04am, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> On 8/16/17, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
>> I worked at a university and we used network home directories.
>
> <sarc>
> Why use the local disk when you can instead use a network filesystem
> that is less reliable and about 100x slower?
> </sarc>

Because our students can’t use local disk.  They may use any of over 700
computers on campus, maintained by different departments.  And they expect
their files to appear magically wherever they sit down.  Also, they expect
their files to get backed up.

It isn’t really a problem for the students who were clever with computers.  But
once you have computers which can be used by any student in the university you
have to cater for the lowest level of geekery.

Simon.