On Wed, 16 Aug 2017, Richard Hipp wrote:

On 8/16/17, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

I worked at a university and we used network home directories.

<sarc>
Why use the local disk when you can instead use a network filesystem
that is less reliable and about 100x slower?
</sarc>

It is not necessarily the case that a network filesystem is less reliable or 100x slower. The server may have much better storage reliability (RAID) and performance characteristics (faster storage devices and more much more RAM) and accessing server-based storage may actually have much better latency than local disk on a typical computer. Files on the server are more readily backed up than files distributed across many hosts.

I did use NFS for accessing user files while I had an Apple OS X system in active use here. The OS X NFS seemed to be slower than normal compared to the NFS provided by other operating systems.

I am still using NFS mounted home directories across all systems here (since 1993). No significant problems have been encountered during that time.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn