The following works for me. The Community table has only one entry per
community ID so it's fast to look up.

SELECT sCommunityID, (SELECT sTransactionID
                            FROM TransactionList
                            WHERE sCommunityID = Community.sCommunityID
                            ORDER BY sTransactionID Desc Limit 1) as MaxID
>From Community WHERE sCommunityID In ('a030600001bFi','a030600004KDy',
'a030600008QhK')

Is there any way of just supplying a list of records without having to use
another table? I know I can use parameterised queries but I would like to
be able to use a single query to get the data, as it feels like it should
be possible!

Hugh