On Sep 12, 2017, at 11:25 AM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> SQLite 3.19 doesn’t seem to coalesce identical calls to a deterministic
> function. For example, in this query, where `fl_value` is a function I’ve
> registered as SQLITE_DETERMINISTIC:

From my reading of the docs, I don’t see that that is the purpose of
SQLITE_DETERMINISTIC:

    https://www.sqlite.org/deterministic.html

The purpose is simply so that the SQLite internals know whether it is safe to
use the user-defined function in certain query types.

Still, it *would* be a neat optimization to be able to mark a function as a
“function” in the mathematical sense and have SQLite treat it as referentially
transparent in contexts like this.