> On Sep 12, 2017, at 11:09 AM, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
>
> From my reading of the docs, I don’t see that that is the purpose of
> SQLITE_DETERMINISTIC:
>
>    https://www.sqlite.org/deterministic.html
> <https://www.sqlite.org/deterministic.html>

Actually it is. "A deterministic function always gives the same answer when it
has the same inputs." That is the definition of a mathematical (also called
"pure") function. Such a function call can of course be factored out as a
common subexpression.

> The purpose is simply so that the SQLite internals know whether it is safe to
> use the user-defined function in certain query types.

The reason SQLITE_DETERMINISTIC was added is to allow such functions to be used
in indexes and then matched with the same function in a query. That allows
indexing things like JSON properties (via the deterministic json_value
function.)

—Jens