> On Sep 26, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Guy Harris <g...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> A user wouldn't know what to do with "you've exceeded your stored data quota”?

A Turkish or Chinese user likely wouldn’t. (SQLite’s error messages are not
localized.) And there are plenty of messages that are much less understandable
to a lay user than the one you picked out.

> The *number* might annoy the support staff; right off the top of your head,
> what's the error number for "file system quota exceeded" or "I/O error"?  (No
> cheating by looking it up in a man page or include file!)

On the contrary, error numbers are a lot easier for support. They’re
independent of locale, they don’t get re-worded from one version of the app to
the next, and they’re very short and easy to dictate over the phone. Of course,
these shouldn’t be the primary error information given to the user! But the
user-level error message should be something specific to the application, like
“an unexpected database error occurred (19)” instead of "Abort due to
constraint violation”. The number would appear only for support purposes.

I say this as someone who’s worked on a number of end-user GUI applications
over the years.

—Jens