I would like to draw attention to the document: "The Power of 10: Rules
for Developing Safety-Critical Code" from  NASA/JPL Laboratory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_10:_Rules_for_Developing_Safety-Critical_Code

They tells, for example:

Rule 10: All code must be compiled, from the first day of development,
with all compiler warnings enabled at the most
pedantic setting available. All code must compile without warnings. All
code must also be checked daily with at least one,
but preferably more than one, strong static source code analyzer and
should pass all analyses with zero warnings.

You can see entire document here:
https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~imarkov/10rules.pdf