> I for my part would *insist* on SQLite throwing an error, when
it encounters unknown (userdefined) functions or collations

Yes, sure, you need to know about the missing UDF or collation. I suppose
there
is no sensible way to know about this and still be able to run the SQL. I
looked at
the DatePart UDF as used in other databases eg:
https://www.w3schools.com/sql/func_sqlserver_datepart.asp
and it looks useful and will just add this in my wrapper.

RBS