Hi Ryan,

Nice trick - changing the sign of ID. I agree that changing an existing
record's ID value would cause problems for any other field / table that
referenced this key.

If I used your idea of adding a SortOrder column incremented in steps of x,
as you suggested, the gaps would start to disappear after many inserts
between existing records. I suppose the gaps could be reset by writing
program to call sqlite3_exec with

select * from fruit order by SortOrder;

and increment a RowCount variable each time the callback was triggered,
then update fruit with something like

update fruit set SortOrder = RowCount*x where id = [id of the row when it's
callback was triggered];

I would to prefer to avoid this solution because it involves mutable state
(the RowCount variable) which is the "root of all evil" (bugs). Is there an
SQL statement which could reset the gaps back to x?