True, "some" parts of "some" games can be implemented with DB technology, particularly matrix- and graph-based ones. Not only for fast storage and retrieval of game data, but, more interestingly, for implementing complex computation algorithms through SQL queries, that may prove faster than their expression in standard languages.

In a series of case studies I have developed to show that many problems can be elegantly and efficiently solved by a carefully designed DB schema + SQL queries, I have included three applications close to the game domain: text-based adventure games, Conway's cellular automata (aka "Game of life") and shortest path finding.

The text of these studies (all implemented in SQLite) are available on https://projects.info.unamur.be/~dbm/mediawiki/index.php/LIBD:Outils#SQLfast <https://projects.info.unamur.be/%7Edbm/mediawiki/index.php/LIBD:Outils#SQLfast>.

- text-based adventure games: download document "Case study: The book of which you are the hero" - Conway's cellular automata: download document "Case study: Conway's Game of Life" - shortest path problem: download document "Case study: Path finders, rovers and Ariadne's thread".

Just my three cents!

J-L Hainaut

  Any practical realtime video game using SQLite is probably
doing so only to save and restore the game board between games.
and perhaps calculating the initial "maze" or other non time sensitive data
processing

Even a cursory look into production
quality video game development will tell you that a database is the wrong
technology to base a video game engine on.
Fully agree, I would use another library for that part.